Little Stanion from the air.
Little Stanion from the air, April 2020.
Little Stanion from the air at night, image courtesy
Richard Phillips of Aeroworx.
Little Stanion Parish Council
Serving the people of Little Stanion
Subject: Corby Library in 2022
The team here at Corby library would like to wish you all A Happy New Year and tell you about some exciting new things we have happening this year. We are looking forward to being able to introduce even more as the year progresses but we already have lots to tell you.
Under 5's Activities.
- To begin with we are pleased to be able to launch 2 brand new sessions for families with pre school children. 'Baby Time' will run on a Monday afternoon between 2-3 pm and be a chance for new parents to meet in a safe space to chat and allow baby to play with our range of sensory toys. Then on a Friday morning at 10.30-11.30 we will be having 'Story Time'. An hour session that starts with a staff member reading a story followed by a short simple craft that ties in with it. These sessions are on each week during term time, they will be bookable and details of how are in the posters attached.
- We continue to run two Rhyme Time sessions every Thursday. They are 9.30-10.00am and then 11.30-12.00 and booking is required. These sessions are run by library staff but The Core theatre kindly allow us to use their space so booking on is available by speaking to their box office on 01536 470470.
- The libraries Strong Start team have been kind enough to share their new partnership with us that connects beautifully with our baby time sessions. Milk and You are a breast feeding support group that cover the Corby area and joining with them has bought us a brand new collection of books. These books are aimed at new parents to support breastfeeding, post-natal care and raising babies in the early years. We hope to invite Milk and you to be present at some of our under 1's sessions moving forward to offer face to face advice and support. I have attached some info about them in this email and some photos of the new books that can now be borrowed from us.
Family Activities More »
- Corby library will be holding a craft activity every Saturday morning at 10.30 for families to book on to and attend. We will advertise these sessions on our Facebook page and through the library events calendar, Tockify, which can be found here: Tockify Calendars
Tockify allows you to see whats on across the county and can be filtered to see your nearest library by typing the town you are in into the search bar. To find out more about our craft events give us a call, drop us an email, send us a Facebook message or simply pop in. All of our contact details are in the Corby Library flyer attached showing February Events
- If your children haven't already tried coding, why not give Scratch a go? It's easy to get started building your own computer games and videos, and they'll be learning a lot about computer science concepts (like loops, variables and algorithms) while having fun. There are also loads of projects they can make with step-by-step guides on the Code Club website: https://scratch.mit.edu/ https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/codeclub
One of our staff members here at Corby created this short and fun introduction to our library using Scratch. Please check it out here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/518906297. We have books to borrow here in the library that teach your children all about coding if you'd like to drop by and check one out.
- Throughout the pandemic, even when closed, the library was lucky enough to still receive new book stock. This means we have a huge amount of shiny new books for all ages. There is fiction, non-fiction and special collection books including parenting, sustainability, empathy and well-being to name a few. Please do pop by and browse. Joining is FREE and only takes a couple of minutes. Along with being able to join new members and lend books here at the library we also continue to offer our usual services. These include bus pass applications, blue badge applications by appointment, computer use, printing services and a home delivery service for customers that may have difficulty in visiting us (please see poster attached.) If you, or someone you know, might benefit from any of these services please drop a line using the contact information in the flyer or simply pop in to see us. We are open between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Saturday and would be happy to assist.
- Last but certainly not least, we have had some enquiries regarding staff visits to schools and school visits to us here in the library. Please believe that we are not ignoring these questions but are awaiting guidance in how best to move forward. We are excited at the thought of re-establishing our connection with schools and promise that we will be in touch separately as soon as we have clarity. We apologise for the delay but we want to get it right for all involved. In the meantime please check out the scratch project created by Ian in the library and show it to your students if time allows. It only takes a couple of minutes and runs through how to use your library in a fun animation. You can find it here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/518906297
If there are any questions you'd like to ask us, or if you have anything you'd like to share with us to pass on to our customers please get in touch.
North Northamptonshire Council
The Corby Cube
T: 0300 126 3000 » Less
Posted: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:14 by Ray Kilham